About our service
Our outpatient musculoskeletal physiotherapy service aims to help you restore movement, function and quality of life. Our team of specialist Physiotherapists work closely with you to tailor an individualised treatment plan that suits your needs and goals.
Services we offer
- Virtual Soft Tissue Clinic – following attendance at a Gateshead walk in centre or Accident & Emergency for a recent musculoskeletal trauma, you may be referred to this service for further assessment and diagnosis of your injury. This is a quick and timely telephone triage service to get you into the most appropriate care pathway. You may also require a face-to-face appointment if appropriate and diagnostics can be requested by your Physiotherapist if required. Physiotherapy treatment may be started in a one-off session but then if you would benefit from further rehabilitation, you will be referred to your local outpatient Physiotherapy service for e.g. TIMS.
- Out of area Upper and Lower limb Orthopaedic Physiotherapy – the primary role of this service is to provide post-operative rehabilitation and support to patients that have had either upper or lower limb orthopaedic elective operations, and whom live out of the Newcastle/Gateshead area. Your referral to our service will either be made following your operation, or at your consultant clinic appointment at Gateshead NHS Foundation Trust. This will include;
- Guidance and advice regarding your operation and recovery.
- Early post-operative management advice regarding restrictions and exercises.
- Progressive exercise rehabilitation to improve your movement and function, and guidance to help your return to general activities, sport and work.
- Paediatric Musculoskeletal Physiotherapy – this service accepts referrals for children and young people aged 5 to 15 years with a musculoskeletal/orthopaedic condition and are registered with a Gateshead GP. This may be for growth-related problems, musculoskeletal pain, following a traumatic injury or following an operation. This is an outpatient service and is based at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Gateshead. We offer face to face and virtual appointments. Referrals are accepted from Consultants, GP’s, and other Allied Health Professionals. Each child and young person will have a full comprehensive assessment followed by advice, support, and individually tailored exercise programmes to maximise each child’s physical potential. We work closely families/carer givers and collaborate with other health and education professionals.
- Out of area Rheumatology Physiotherapy – this service is based at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital and provides support and treatment for patients that have musculoskeletal symptoms related to their inflammatory condition. Referrals into the service are made via the Rheumatology team and are primarily for patients whom live outside the Newcastle/Gateshead area. Patients whom live in this area will be referred to the local physiotherapy service, Tyneside Integrated MSK Service (TIMS), and will be supported by physiotherapists with a special interest in Rheumatology. There may be exceptions to this if the problem is particularly complex and requiring multidisciplinary intervention. We offer face-face and virtual appointments that are tailored to help patients achieve optimal function and independence in the management of their particular rheumatologic condition.