Directions to Bensham hospital by car
From the A1
- Exit the A1 at the junction with the A692/B1426
- At the roundabout take the second exit (still Lobley Hill Road)
- Continue under the railway bridge and at the traffic lights turn right onto Victoria Road.
- Continue to the end and at the T-junction turn left onto Armstrong Street.
- Take the second right (just before the railway bridge) onto Fontwell Drive.
- The Hospital’s main entrance is situated at the end of Fontwell Drive.
- Take the east coast mainline service to Newcastle upon Tyne.
- A frequent service on the Metro runs to Gateshead Interchange.
By coach or bus
- Disembark at Gateshead Interchange.
- Taxis are available outside the Interchange.
- Bensham Hospital is served by a number of local buses from the town centre’s interchange.
- For information on all local bus, metro and train services throughout the North East, call 0870 6082608. You can also visit the Nexus traveline North East.
If you require help with patient transport, please visit our patient transport page and see if you qualify for help in getting you to the hospital.
Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Bensham Hospital and Blaydon Urgent Treatment Centre are easy to access by public transport with regular bus services.
To help you plan your journey to the hospital, visit the Nexus passenger transport website where you will find travel details for all public transport including bus routes, Metro and local rail services.
These websites may also help you plan your journey to the hospital:
- Go North East or you can download the Go North East app
- Metro – Nexus can be contacted on 0191 202 0747 between 8:00am – 6:00pm 7 days a week to help with any specific public transport advice.
Walking and cycling
The location of our sites is an ideal location to access by foot or bike for many visitors.
Driving is the favoured option of choice for many to access the hospital site and therefore we’re constantly looking to improve our car parks to ensure that they are accessible to all.
We also feel it is important that you as patients and visitors find a space near the appropriate entrance for your requirements.
Find out more about car parking, including charges and the best car park for your visit.