What Gateshead Cares is
Gateshead Cares is the collaborative term for the Gateshead health and care system.
The Trust is an active partner in the “Gateshead Cares” system board.
We are committed to the Alliance Agreement which underpins a collaborative system wide-working and accountability in Gateshead
Local organisations have come together to help people thrive in Gateshead and to tackle inequalities.
The partnership includes:
- Gateshead Health NHS Foundation Trust
- Gateshead Council
- NHS Newcastle Gateshead Clinical Commissioning Group
- Cumbria, Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust
- Community Based Care Federation Health
- Blue Stone Consortium (associate partner)
- Connected Voice (the voluntary sector representative partner and associate partner)
- The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
All of the organisations meet frequently at the Gateshead Health and Care System Board to discuss how they can work differently to improve care. There is a formal agreement in place and this came into effect in April 2021.
The objectives for the Gateshead Health and Care System Board are to:
- Reduce levels of inequality by tackling the circumstances that lead to inequality
- Shift the balance of services from acute hospital care and crisis interventions to community support with a focus on prevention, early help and self-help, matched by appropriate resources
- Support the development of integrated care and treatment for people with complicated long-term conditions, social problems or disabilities
- Create a join planning and financial framework for managing difficult decisions required to ensure effective, efficient and economically secure services, getting the most from Gateshead
Key programme areas
The key areas of focus for 2021 to 2022 include:
- Children and young people best start in life (SEND)
- Older persons care home model
- Mental health transformation
- Development of primary care networks