The Endoscopy department benefits from a new IT software system (Endosoft) which links into an electronic referral and reporting system (Endo ICE).
This enables the clinicians to generate photographic clinical images into computerised patient reports with immediate access for the referring clinicians and GP, to the report electronically.
There has been a lot of modernisation in the Endoscopy service which includes:
- Implementation of endoscopy
- The additional capacity with the provision of a 5th Endoscopy Room has enabled Clinicians to undertake additional lists to reduce waiting times.
- Accredited Unit for Bowel Cancer Screening Programme and the Bowel Scope Screening within South Tyneside.
- JAG (Joint Advisory Group, this is a governing body for Endoscopy) Accreditation achieved since 2006.
- Nurse Endoscopist team providing upper and lower endoscopy.
- The unit is part of the Northern Regional Training Unit for JAG accredited courses currently running 8-10 courses per year.
- Development of the electronic referral and reporting system Endo Ice this enables all electronic referrals to be vetted, appointments to be made, capacity planning, pre-assessment, populates Endosoft and allows the clinician instant access to the report once the procedure is finished. Phase 2 involves GP electronic referrals. This is a world first and the QE won an award for being ‘Industry Pioneers’.
- The Endoscopy department provides emergency patients slots each day and accommodate and coordinate emergency patients on an adhoc basis ensuring treatment is optimised.