Although the unit is very busy, we aim to reduce waiting times by giving all children an appointment time. On occasion, if the doctor is called to an emergency, your appointment may be delayed. The nurse will keep you informed of this or answer any queries you may have.
During your stay it may be necessary for your child to undergo a series of tests. Some of the tests we carry out include:
- Blood tests
- Specialised investigations including kidney scans, food/medicine challenges
- Urine testing
- Preparation for scans and x-rays
- Recording of blood pressure, temperature, heart rate and respiratory rate
- Parent/child education and health promotion
- Administration of medications including intravenous infusions
All tests undertaken will be discussed with the children and their parents, this enables children and their families to understand why tests are necessary, and to ask questions about their care.
Diversional therapy for children particularly when they require procedures is an important role of the nursery nurse, and also includes using some of the most up to date technology, including 3D TVs.
How to contact the service
The paediatrician was brilliant at explaining my child’s condition and the options available, helping me to make an informed decision. The nursery nurse was invaluable in distracting my child by offering distraction. I felt my child was well cared for and made our visit a lot easier.