About the service
Occupational therapists work with people with a disability or an illness to promote independence in everyday life. We can help by supporting you to achieve goals which enable you to do things you want to do as safely and independently as possible.
We will look at your ability to manage daily activities and may agree further input which includes the following:
- Education of new skills and techniques
- Practice of regaining old and reinforcing new skills
- Graded practice of activities to increase confidence
- Group work
- Provision of assistive equipment
- Recommendations for adaptations
- Promoting health and wellbeing
- Finding ways to cope with problematic symptoms which can impact on daily living
- Emotional and psychological support for patients and families
- Promote quality of life using meaningful activities
- Assessment of the client and their hand to identify difficulties; establish goals and carry out interventions or give advice to increase function and therefore independence
Activities to improve:
- Self-esteem and confidence
Contacting the service
Hospital services – 0191 445 3125
Hospital-based services (including Medical and Surgical wards, Cragside, Sunniside and JASRU).
Outpatient services (Parkinson’s Disease Service and Rheumatology).
Older Person’s Mental Health Community Occupational Therapy Team
This service is located at:
Occupational Therapy Department
Queen Elizabeth Hospital
Tel: 0191 445 3125.
To contact community occupational therapy (including, Respiratory, pulmonary Rehab, palliative care community Orthopaedic OT and Falls rapid response Service (falls car)), please call 0191 445 5226 or 0191 4458400.
The service is located at:
Rapid Response Team
There are also occupational therapy staff working within the following specialist teams
- Falls and Syncope Service based at Bensham Hospital – 0191 445 3843
- Community Stroke Team based at Bensham Hospital – 0191 445 2851
- Eastwood Promoting Independence Centre – 0191 433 6464