The Great North run is taking place on 11th September 2022 and this year it will return to its original route starting in Newcastle and finishing on the coastline of South Shields.
This year, there will be 24 participants running on behalf of QE Charitable Funds, the charity for Gateshead Health NHS Foundation Trust, along with 7 ‘mini’ runners the day before in the Junior Great North Run.
Due to the pandemic, the half marathon had to adapt to the covid restrictions, but this year will be bigger than ever with more than 60,000 dedicated runners taking on the challenge.
We are delighted to have our chair of Gateshead Health NHS Foundation Trust, Alison Marshall running the half marathon for the first time. She will be raising money for the charity’s general fund which will help patients and staff across the Trust.
Alison said “I have (foolishly!) agreed to run the Great North Run for the Gateshead Health Charity. I do not consider myself a runner – I did the couch to 5K in lockdown, but that’s the extent of my running experience – so this will be a challenge, but worth it to raise funds for our patients and staff.
“I have set up a JustGiving page which can be accessed via the attached link – any donations will be much appreciated, and I’m sure will aid my training!”
You can read the individual stories from our fantastic runners by clicking their names below:
Alison Marshall – Chair of Gateshead Health is raising money for the general fund and is running the Great North Run for the first time.
Alex Richardson – Alex is running the Great North Run for the second year and this year is supporting the build of the new cancer centre.
Jeni McCauley – Jeni is supporting our charity for the second year running, in support of our critical care fund.
Maureen Gordon – Maureen is supporting our older persons’ fund.
Rajeev Sharma – Rajeev is supporting the diabetes fund.
Janet Foster – Janet is raising money for the general fund.
Alyson Duncan – Alyson is running for the marathon for the 13th year but this year she is supporting QE Charitable Funds and the diagnostic imaging fund.
Rob Masson – Rob is raising money for the special care baby unit.
Michelle Masson – Michelle is raising money for the special care baby unit and the chemo day unit funds.
Other runners include:
- Rohit Garkoti – in support of our staff health and wellbeing fund
- Kerry Waterfield – in support of St Bede’s palliative care fund
- Kay Dixon – in support of our special care baby unit fund
- Paul Egdell – in support of our staff health and wellbeing fund
- Caroline Murray – in support of St Bede’s palliative care fund
- Lois Lincoln – in support of our cancer services fund (cancer centre project)
- Ash Abolvardi – in support of general fund
- Fiona McClintock – in support of cancer services fund (cancer centre project)
- James McCourt – in support of our breast screening fund
- Mark Loder – in support of our critical care fund
- Steven Pickering – in support of our older persons’ mental health fund
- Peter Kalton – in support of our general fund
- Nicola Shaverin – in support of our chemo day unit fund and breast screening fund
- Jacqui Candlish – in support of JASRU – stoke fund
Mini and Junior Great North Run runners:
Oliver – Oliver is running the Mini Great North Run for the paediatric department to help buy new toys and equipment for the children.
Anna and Tom – Anna and Tom are running the Mini Great North Run together to raise money for the QE Hospital where their Mum works.
Amelie and Daniel – Amelie and Daniel are running the Junior / Mini Great North Run for the paediatric department to help buy new toys and equipment for the children.
Please show your support and donate where you can by clicking on the above JustGiving links.
You can also show your support for QE Charitable Funds and Gateshead Health NHS Foundation Trust by participating in any of our 2023 events. Keep checking the events page on our website for future events or visit our fundraising page if you would like to do your own fundraising.
To sign up for any of the 2023 charity events or for any information relating to the charity please email [email protected].