At this time, the trust is sharing patient demographics, visits, appointments, laboratory results, including microbiology results, radiology and pathology reports.
The trust hosts a £12million state of the art facility, which provides test results for patients living across Gateshead, South Tyneside and Sunderland. These test results are amongst the data now being shared to the HIE.
Dr Claire McDonald, consultant in geriatric care and a chief clinical information officer for the trust said: “I treat elderly patients, who in some cases can be quite confused about their condition, or the treatments and medication they are receiving. Being able to access information from other hospitals, their GP practice, or the ambulance service really helps me to ask the right questions and better plan their care.
“We are delighted that our trust is now sharing information, so we can help our colleagues, and more importantly, our patients to receive better care.”
Gateshead trust are the latest to share data on the Great North Care Record, they join:
- All 400 + GP practices in the North East and North Cumbria
- Over 200 community services
- Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Cumbria, Northumberland Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust
- South Tyneside and Sunderland NHS Foundation Trust
- North East Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust
Work is underway with all the remaining Trusts and Local Authorities in the Region to begin sharing health and care information to the Great North Care Record.