Dr Joanne Knight is a Consultant in Anaesthetics at the QE Hospital in Gateshead and the perioperative lead for frailty.
Dr Knight trained in the North East at Newcastle University and the Northern Deanery. She has a Masters in Research and has published research within the specialist area of perioperative medicine and patients living with frailty. Her specialist interests include perioperative medicine including cardiopulmonary exercise testing and prehabilitiation.
Since coming to Gateshead as a consultant Dr Knight has taken on the role of Perioperative Frailty Lead. This has included:
- Being a member of the steering group for the development of a prehabilitation service
- Involvement in perioperative frailty related research projects including: PODIUM, SNAP-2, SNAP-3, i-HYPE
Her current publications include:
- Andrew D. Kane, Joanne Knight, Reema Ayyash, The perioperative management of frailty in patients presenting for vascular surgery, Anaesthesia & Intensive Care Medicine, Volume 23, Issue 4, 2022, Pages 239-243, ISSN 1472-0299.
- Ayyash R, Knight J, Kothmann E, Eid M, Ayyash K, Colling K, Yates D, Mill A, Danjoux G. Utility and reliability of the Clinical Frailty Scale in patients scheduled for major vascular surgery: a prospective, observational, multicentre observer-blinded study. Perioper Med (Lond). 2022 Jan 31;11(1):6. doi: 10.1186/s13741-022-00240-9
- Knight J, Ayyash K, Colling K, Dhesi J, Ewan V, Danjoux G, Kothmann E, Mill A, Taylor S, Yates D, Ayyash R. A cohort study investigating the relationship between patient reported outcome measures and pre-operative frailty in patients with operable, non-palliative colorectal cancer. BMC Geriatr. 2020 Aug 27;20(1):311. doi: 10.1186/s12877-020-01715-4
- D J N Wong, S K Harris, S R Moonesinghe on behalf of the SNAP-2 EPICCS collaborators. Cancelled operations: a 7-day cohort study of planned adult inpatient surgery in 245 UK National Health Service hospitals. BJA 2018: 121 (4): 730-738
Dr Knight also has an interest in education and is an educational supervisor for anaesthetic trainees, teaches on national courses including ALS and CCrISP and is an Academic mentor for fourth year medical students at Newcastle University.
- Perioperative Medicine
- Frailty and surgery